IFComp 2024
s***@ereborbbs.duckdns.org
2024-06-14 19:58:58 UTC
Because nobody posts on here anymore but I find it sad this doesn't get any
love anymore....

IFComp 2024 accepts submissions from 1st of July:
https://ifcomp.org/about/comp

IFComp's mission statement

The Annual Interactive Fiction Competition (IFComp) welcomes all kinds of
text-driven digital stories and games, making them freely available in
order to encourage the creation, play, and discussion of interactive
fiction. How IFComp works, in a nutshell

The Interactive Fiction Competition is an annual event begun by passionate
hobbyists in 1995 to encourage both the creation and the discussion of new
interactive fiction works (also known as IF). While the definition of IF
has evolved in the years since then, the IFComp???s format and schedule have
remained stable since the 1990s. Anyone can judge the entries on a
one-to-ten scale, and the laurels go to the entries receiving the best
average rating.

The people who participate in the IFComp include:

Authors, who write the best IF works they can, and then submit them to
the comp before the August 28 deadline (see the full schedule below).
There is no entry fee, and anyone???s allowed to submit up to three
entries.

See the full rules for authors.

Judges, who, over a six-week period in October and November, play as
many entries as they can, and give each one they play a score between 1
and 10. Higher numbers mean a better score; judges are otherwise free
to use any scoring rubric they wish. A game???s final score is simply the
average of all scores it has received.

Judging is open to the public (competition organizers excluded);
becoming a judge simply means creating an account on this website, and
proceeding to submit scores for at least five entries during the
judging period.

See the full rules for judges.

Donors, who kindly donate prizes to each year???s prize pool. At the end
of the competition, and starting with the first-place winner, authors
take turns choosing a prize from the pool, which the donor will then
deliver to the author via whatever medium is appropriate for it.
(Judges or authors may most certainly act as donors, too.)

Prizes can be (and have been) anything from cash to books to food to
professional services, and more. Donors declare their intent by
emailing the organizer.

Competition schedule

NEW FOR IFCOMP 2024: The 'intent to enter' date, final game deadline,
voting period, and awards stream have all moved up one month.

All competition deadlines specifically mean 11:59 PM, Eastern time, on the
given dates.

July 1: The competition website is open for authors to declare their
intent to enter this year???s competition.

August 1: The last date that authors can register their intent to
enter.

August 28: The last date that authors can upload their games to the
competition site. Everyone starts counting down the hours, eager to
explore all the new IFfy goodness.

September 1: The games are released to the public, and the judging
period begins.

October 15: All votes must be submitted by the end of the day. The
competition results are announced shortly afterwards. Prize choosing
and distribution begins.

Side contests Miss Congeniality Awards

Since the 1998 competition, the IFComp has every year held a secondary
contest allowing the authors of that year???s games to vote on one another???s
entries, using a ballot similar to the one that the public uses to vote in
the main competition. The three most highly ranked entries by this vote
become the winners of the Miss Congeniality Awards, an honor permanently
recorded in that year???s results listing. Rising Star Award

Since the 2021 competition, the IFComp has recognized the highest-rated
game by a first-time entrant in the competition, called the Rising Star
Award. Golden Banana of Discord

This special award goes every year to the entry with the highest standard
distribution among its ratings ??? roughly speaking, the entries with the
most disagreement among those who rated it. The IFWiki keeps a record of
every year's GBoD winner, as well as a bit of history about this prize.
James Richards
2024-06-19 13:36:59 UTC
Post by s***@ereborbbs.duckdns.org
[...]
I am here. I miss the old days of newsgroups, and dont like the web-forums
nearly as much. I dont do social media anymore, and i like the
non-corporatizedness of usenet. I think it could make a comeback.

But i am very optimistic, and a bit of a high tech luddite.

I hope to be submitting this year, but will definitely be judging.
Kyonshi
2024-06-19 14:31:38 UTC
Post by James Richards
I am here. I miss the old days of newsgroups, and dont like the web-forums
nearly as much. I dont do social media anymore, and i like the
non-corporatizedness of usenet. I think it could make a comeback.
But i am very optimistic, and a bit of a high tech luddite.
I hope to be submitting this year, but will definitely be judging.
Even the web-forums by this point have been supplanted by closed
facebook groups and the like, which I don't like at all.
I think newsgroups have their own charm though.
Kerr-Mudd, John
2024-06-19 15:46:14 UTC
On Wed, 19 Jun 2024 16:31:38 +0200
Post by Kyonshi
Post by James Richards
I am here. I miss the old days of newsgroups, and dont like the web-forums
nearly as much. I dont do social media anymore, and i like the
non-corporatizedness of usenet. I think it could make a comeback.
But i am very optimistic, and a bit of a high tech luddite.
I hope to be submitting this year, but will definitely be judging.
Even the web-forums by this point have been supplanted by closed
facebook groups and the like, which I don't like at all.
I think newsgroups have their own charm though.
text-based and retro; just like proper IF (D&RFC)
--
Bah, and indeed Humbug.